When time spent turning units means money lost renting them, how can your teams get apartments ready in record time? Director of Happiness Mike Ramseyer shares 5 simple steps.
1) Add time to the clock with pre-move-out inspections
- Nobody wants to see turn delayed by big-ticket item replacements: cabinets, countertops, appliances, flooring, and tubs.
- An easy fix: completing pre-move-out inspections 14 days before move-out. This way, your techs can document conditions and order from vendors well in advance.
- You can even speed up your pre-moveout by getting top-quality data from your desktop through Live Inspections, which let a camera operator (i.e. the resident) stream video as you take high-res pictures and notes with an on-screen template.
2) Prevent damage disputes with thorough move-out templates
- By creating resident-facing move-out inspections with time-stamped photos and notes, you save time down the line navigating damage disputes.
- Every dollar lost from unit damage takes a toll on your property's business plan, so a bit of diligent documenting mid-turn goes a long way for your NOI.
3) See what's on track when your punch lists go digital
- By importing your punch list into a Tasks project board, your teams can leverage what a white board can’t: real-time data they can act on from anywhere.
- Every maintenance item automatically generates a "stage" in Tasks (i.e. "countertops"), with a status indicator (i.e. "complete" or "incomplete) to help you stay on deadline.
4) Monitor vendor performance to get what you pay for
- Vendor performance is finally trackable, too — with Tasks project boards also displaying the timing and quality of third-party work.
- By easily scheduling out vendor assignments (countertops, appliances, etc) in your project board, you can spot and fix anything stacking up as "incomplete."
- With a real-time window into your make ready process plus the chance to review dashboards post-turn, you can evaluate vendors more effectively than ever.
5) Schedule a final inspection for a worry-free make ready
- Getting a second set of eyes on unit conditions is your best shot at impressing a new resident expecting only the best.
- With a scheduled and assigned final turn Inspection that automatically generates Tasks for anything in need of further repair, you can be sure of a job done right — before the resident can spot anything wrong.
P.S. High-quality recordkeeping doesn't have to end at move-out. With Guest Inspections, you can easily send your new resident a digital move-in template covering all the essentials — with options for photos and notes — to get a valuable unit snapshot.
Mike has over 10 years of property management experience and 10 years of experience working in software implementation, best practices, training, and compliance.